The Ethiopian Textile and Apparel Professional Association(ETAPA) has been officially founded, as announced during the conclusion of the 11th International Cotton, Textile, and Apparel Value Chain Africa conference held at Bahir Dar University. With a vision to boost the growth and efficiency of Ethiopia’s textile and apparel industry, the association aims to collaborate with stakeholders while leveraging science and technology. Dr. Abera Keche, a respected scholar from Bahir Dar University, has been elected as the president, along with Dr. Baye Berhanu from Dire Dawa University as the vice president.
The Objectives of the Association:
- Driving Efficient Growth: The Ethiopian Textile and Apparel Professional Association seeks to facilitate the efficient growth of the domestic textile and apparel industry by harnessing the potential of science and technology. The association aims to work closely with stakeholders to achieve this objective.
- Supporting Sectoral Research: Recognizing the significant economic contribution of Ethiopia’s textile and apparel industry, the association is dedicated to conducting professional research that aids the sector’s development. By conducting comprehensive studies, the association aims to provide valuable insights and support policymakers in making informed decisions.
- Policy Development: The association is committed to studying and preparing policy resources tailored to Ethiopia’s unique context. By analyzing international experiences and adopting suitable strategies, the association aims to provide policymakers with valuable perspectives for shaping the future of the textile and apparel industry.
- Enhancing Workforce Efficiency: The Ethiopian Textile and Apparel Professional Association aims to identify training gaps in the sector to enhance the productivity and efficiency of Ethiopian textile and apparel manufacturing workers. Through continuous study and research, the association strives to bridge these gaps and uplift the industry’s workforce.
- Stakeholder Collaboration: To foster a collaborative ecosystem within the Ethiopian textile and apparel sector, the association aims to connect various stakeholders. By facilitating communication, knowledge sharing, and partnerships, the association seeks to create a supportive environment for the industry’s growth.
As the president of the Ethiopian Textile and Apparel Professional Association, Dr. Abera Keche expressed his dedication to enabling the industry’s significant role in the country’s economic development. Driven by the ambition to achieve success on a broader scale, the association will work tirelessly to promote collaboration, research, and technological advancements within the Ethiopian textile and apparel sector.
The establishment of the Ethiopian Textile and Apparel Professional Association marks a crucial milestone in the development of Ethiopia’s textile and apparel industry. With a strong leadership team and a clear mission, the association aims to harness the power of science and collaboration to drive growth, efficiency, and international competitiveness. By focusing on research, policy development, workforce training, and stakeholder engagement, the association aspires to make a substantial impact on the industry’s future and the overall economic landscape of the country.